Friday, September 23, 2011

Top 3 Reasons to be a Teacher

June, July, and August – how I love you so! I’ve always loved summer, but this was my first summer being a stay-at-home mom. Whelp, it was great. After a week of adjusting, Parker and I fell into a comfortable routine and really enjoyed spending our days together. Of course, we were always looking forward to Daddy coming home in the afternoon, but we had a lot of fun during the days. He switched to a 2-nap schedule, which I really came to enjoy. During his morning nap I would do devotions, dishes, and other housework, and during his afternoon nap I would lay on a blanket outside and read Karen Kingsbury books. Sounds like the life, right? When he was awake we played with trucks, his learning table, and his walker. We looked at books, went swimming, visited friends, got groceries, and went for walks/runs and bike rides a lot. I went to a few Zumba classes and he enjoyed his time in the playroom.

He accomplished a few milestones over the summer months. His top four teeth came in to make six altogether! He tried and liked every fruit and vegetable we gave him. Oh, and he LOVES yogurt. When we first started giving it to him, he would scream when it was finished. He’s also doing his “more” and “all done” signs consistently at the table. As I mentioned earlier, he loves playing with his walker. At first we would have to hold it so it didn’t go so fast, but after about a week he was walking full speed ahead! We have a video of him walking outside I’ll have to put up. He waves and says “ha” to anyone and everything, and he pretends to answer the phone. He will hold it up to his ear and say ‘ha.’ He can tell you what a lion says, clap his hands when you say ‘pat-a-cake’, show you how big he is, and he makes the sounds of the trucks every time he plays with them. (Whenever he sees my mom, he knows she’s going to ask him to do his tricks, so he does ‘so big’ as soon as he sees her.) He babbles and usually rotates between saying ‘da-da’, ‘pa-pa’, ‘bop,’ and any combinations of them such as ‘bop-pa.’ He loves going up and down stairs, and turns around and crawls backwards toward any step or change of surface. Goodness, I keep remembering more and more things! Finally, he loves the music in church. We keep in the service for the worship songs, and Ryan or my dad has to hold him because both of his arms and legs are going like crazy!

Time to get sentimental. My cousin’s husband told me a while ago, “The days are long but the years are fast.” I have reminded myself this many many times since I’ve heard it. I often look back at Parker’s first few weeks and remember just ‘getting through’ them because I very much disliked the lack of sleep. Now I am trying my best to enjoy every moment, every phase, every laugh, smile, and hug. Parker is such a sweet boy and you know what they say – “They grow up way too fast!” At least five different people tell us that every time we go to the grocery store and I’m starting to believe them! We weren’t planning on having a baby as early as we did, but I love thinking about the fact that God didn’t just give us a baby…he gave us Parker. If we would’ve waited, we would’ve loved that baby, too, but it wouldn’t be Parker. (Not sure if that’s being communicated very well through text, but just go with it.)

Summer at home was amazing. They may grow up fast, but I’m very thankful I am able to be there for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment