Thursday, May 31, 2012

Kindergarten

I am officially done teaching my first FULL year of Kindergarten.  After pre-student teaching, student teaching, subbing, being a TA, and taking over a maternity leave, I now know that I am indeed capable of teaching the same kids all year long!

Naperville Christian Academy is a classical school, and after teaching there for a year and a half, I am IN LOVE with the classical model!  It incorporates composers, poets, and artists into geography, science and literature.  It also teaches what is going on in the world during Bible times.  The students learn through songs and chants, and they learn that God is the creator and in control of everything they are learning about.  It's pretty incredible.  Because NCA is located in Naperville, which has a well-known public school system, it has had it's ups and downs.  The school has been open for 11 years, and actually split into two schools two years ago.  That's when I came in.  There were four students in Kindergarten last school year, and only TWO this year.  I have always been so thankful for this teaching job, but have also felt like a dork when people ask me how many students I have.  Well, I am happy to announce that next year there will be 15 Kindergarten students at NCA.  I have signed my contract and am very excited to teach a full class.

We had a little party today to celebrate the school year.  The kids showed off a few things for their parents and then they presented me with a gift.  In the weeks before, we learned about Eric Carle and re-created one of his illustrations from, The Very Hungry Caterpillar.  I was so impressed with how they turned out!  The kids noticed how much I loved them, and made a copy for me to hang in my new classroom next year.  They also included a picture of the three of us at the Apple Orchard.  I have been so blessed by these two little kiddos and am thankful that we are ending the year on a great note, instead of counting down the days.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment