Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Ross Family Harvest Fest 2011

For the past several years, my siblings and most of the Ross cousins come home for the long Columbus Day weekend to help with harvest. Well…my brother and Ryan and other male cousins help, the women bring them food, ride in the combines, graincart, and semi’s, make applesauce and frost cookies ;) It is one of my favorite weekends of the year.


Aunt Bonita came over to play when we got home Friday afternoon. Then we had supper, and I took Parker out to the field for a ride with Papa in the combine. I wasn’t sure how he would do since it requires sitting still for a good chunk of time, but he did pretty well. We only went down and back once, but that took almost 30 minutes. First he sat on my lap for a while, then he played with his tractor, and then Papa let him sit on his lap and drive the combine. I’ll let you guess which of those three was his favorite! Halfway back he got restless and went from Papa’s lap, to mine, to the floor, (repeat) until we made it back to the car ;)






On Saturday, we played a lot and Ryan took one-year pictures of Parker. You can check them out in their own post (One Year Photos!). We got to ride with Papa again that night and he made it down and back twice! Sunday we went to church, ate a yummy taco dinner, I went to a baby shower with my mom and Deb, and then we came home to have Parker’s family party.

As if Friday, Saturday and Sunday weren’t fun enough, we decided to fit everything we possibly could into Monday. We went to Edwards Apple Orchard in the morning, ate beef stew for lunch, made applesauce, frosted cookies, played outside, and rode in the field the rest of the day. I can’t think of any better way to spend a beautiful Fall day. The weather was so perfect all weekend and it was a great time had by all.

Future Farmer

I could really see these two taking over Ross Farms someday.

Applesauce in the making.

Deb churning the apples with the guidance of mom.

Caught you, Alaina!

1 comment: